Friday, April 25, 2008

Jeepers Creepers, Where'd Ya Get Those Peepers?

At the farm supply store, of course!

We've had chickens here off and on for several years. We hadn't had any for awhile, though, and my husband had kind of been wanting to get some Bantams (or bantys, as we call them around here). He knew I was going to the farm supply store yesterday and sometimes they have chicks. He said, "Call me if they have some." Well, lo and behold, when I got there, they had 14 baby banty chicks. I called him, he said go ahead and get them, and now we have a box of baby chicks in our basement. They must be pretty content, because they actually haven't done much peeping so far.

I listed a new sock yarn this week called "Wild Violets." Here's a picture:

Also, a new batch of base yarn came in this week. There were a couple skeins of lace weight Merino and a couple worsted weight superwash Merino. I thought I'd add a little variety to the shop. There was a worsted weight in the shop before that didn't sell, but it was just regular wool, not superwash, and it seems a lot of customers prefer the superwash. One of the lace weights is soaking right now. I've never knitted with the lace weight myself. I think you'd have to have a lot of patience and perseverance to knit something with such thin yarn. But I've seen pictures of some beautiful things done in lace weight.

This isn't fiber related, but I thought I'd pass it along. I may be the only person who hadn't heard of this, but on the news a few days ago they were talking about a web site called Free Rice. It is partnered with the UN World Food Program. You play a vocabulary game, and for each correct answer they donate 20 grains of rice to the program. It's really interesting, and doesn't take very long to add up quite a few grains.

And now I'd better get busy. My to do list is about a mile long.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The chicks are adorable. I can't believe how big your farm family is getting to be.
I'm excited to see what worsted weight and lace yarns you will add to your store.

Alpaca Granny said...

My husband would love to have some banties too. I have discouraged him because I have visions of them roosting (and pooping) on my saddles in the barn.
Maple

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails