Saturday, May 26, 2007

Shearing Day!

The sheep shearer came Wednesday evening. We had kept the sheep in the lot all day in case of rain, so they were a little aggravated about not being out in the pasture and were quite vocal about it. Each one took its turn while the shearer sat them down on their behind and began to shear.



They didn't seem to be upset, just looked a little embarrassed or, dare I say, sheepish? (Sorry, couldn't resist.) The shearer made it look easy. We've sheared them ourselves in the past, but without training or much experience, well, let's just say it didn't look easy. So we were content this time to watch. The fleeces are so beautifully creamy white underneath as they fall back with each pass of the shears. As soon as each was done, they would jump up and go trotting out of the barn, as if nothing had happened. It's a little hard to tell them apart just after they've been sheared. I'm sure they feel better after the wool comes off, especially when the weather is warm. Here they are afterward, admiring their new figures!


Next comes skirting the fleeces to get them ready for processing. I'll try to post some pictures of them also. That's all for now...thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Bonny (Bonny Jewelry) said...

Very cool - my uncle used to shear sheep and it was always kind of interesting to watch. It's rather funky to watch the fleece come off like a coat.

Brenda said...

I enjoy watching it, too. I asked the shearer if it was okay to take pictures and he said yes, but I wondered if he thought I was silly!

Morrgan said...

Reading this made me wish I could be a sheared sheep... It's been boiling hot over here lately (yes, even Finland can be boiling hot at times) and being bald is beginning to sound tempting. ;P Looking forward to more pics and stories, this is interesting to follow!

Brenda said...

I'm anxious to work on the fleeces, too. These are the first Rambouillets that we've done. I'm hoping they'll be REALLY soft!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails