Friday, February 26, 2010

Waiting for Lambs

I've been studying the girls every day to see if there's any sign that there might be some lambs any time soon.I was actually a little worried for awhile as to whether there would even be lambs this year. The ewes didn't seem to show any signs of being bred, and remember the rocky start they had with their suitor?

We put the ram in with them around the 10th of October, and according to this sheep gestation calendar, we can start watching for lambs the 4th of March. They don't really look that close to lambing to me, but like I said, they weren't too thrilled with Angus when they first met.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm excited to see what the Rambouillet/Shetland and Suffolk/Shetland cross lambs will look like!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Well, hopefully he did his job! I'm sure he did though they may be a little later. It's always a 'cultural' shock when you put the big white sheep with a shetland ram for the first time..then they get desperate.:-) I'd say that your suffolk ewes will produce some black and spotted lambs--not sure the color will hold though. Your ramb. will likely produce white lambs, unless they carry color as well. At least that has been my experience with the merino/shetland crosses--1st generation is always white. Should be hearty little buggers.
Tammy

Brenda said...

The girls are looking more like it every day. It will be interesting to see the cross lambs. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails