Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Aaaack! It's the Kitchener Stitch!


Last night I finished the knitting portion of my "seven-needle" socks. Now to figure out what color to make them. What I did last night was to weave the toes with the dreaded kitchener stitch.

This time seemed to be easier than most times when I've done the stitch. I guess it's not really hard to do...the main problem I have is in keeping track of which step I'm on. Here's a trick I use to make that simpler. (Remember I like my knitting simple.) This isn't a tutorial on how to actually do the stitch. This is assuming someone already knows how, and like me, finds it hard to keep track of what to do when. I wrote up a chart with some color coding according to the directions I use for making the kitchener stitch.


The key to my abbreviations:

Step 1
FN, P, LO = insert weaving needle into the first stitch on the Front Needle as if to Purl, Leave On the needle.

Step 2
BN, K, LO = insert weaving needle into the first stitch on the Back Needle as if to Knit, Leave On the needle.

Step 3
FN, K, Sl Off = insert weaving needle into the first stitch on the Front Needle as if to Knit, Slip Off the needle.

FN, P, LO = insert weaving needle into the first stitch on the Front Needle as if to Purl, Leave On the needle.

Step 4
BN, P, Sl Off = insert weaving needle into the first stitch on the Back Needle as if to Purl, Slip Off the needle.

BN, K, LO = insert weaving needle into the first stitch on the Back Needle as if to Knit, Leave On the needle.

Then......(this is sounding more complicated as I'm writing it than it really is)...as I repeat steps 3 & 4, I can look at the chart and think "red," "yellow," "green," "blue" as I do each step and look at the corresponding directions for each color.

Wow, I don't know if that will help anyone or not...after seeing it written down I'm thinking maybe I'm just weird. :) But who knows?

2 comments:

Zenitude said...

I have a pair of socks waiting for this finishing step...off I go to give a try to your colored code. Thanks a bunch!

Brenda said...

You're welcome! I hope it helps!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails