Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Colorful Yarn and New Knitting Projects

I finished spinning up the colorful rovings I showed you in my previous post. Here's the result:

I think this is one of my favorite yarns so far. I used 16 colors of BFL as the base, and ran them through the drum carder in different color combinations. I added some dyed Lincoln locks, some dark chocolate color alpaca, white alpaca, a little bit of mohair, and maybe some Suffolk and Coopworth wools that were in my stash. There are little bits of different colors running all through the yarn in lots of different combinations. You can probably see it better if you click on the picture for a larger image. It really makes for an interesting effect. It's listed in the shop as "Surprise" since you never know what colors are coming up next.

Have any of you done any Moebius knitting? The Moebius scarves look so interesting I thought I'd try one. I thought I'd just play around with it a little and see if I could do the cast on. I guess there are several ways to do it, but you seem to hear a lot about Cat Bordhi's cast on. That's the one I did on this particular try. I found a video on YouTube that shows you how. It didn't seem too hard once you kind of got the hang of it. Like I said, I was just kind of playing around, but I thought since I had it cast on, I might as well go ahead and see if I could do the whole thing. Here's what I've completed so far.

The brown yarn is some that I spun some time ago from I think Corriedale wool dyed with walnut hulls. Can you see the half twist at the bottom?

The next picture shows a little bitty swatch I did with some fawn colored alpaca and white Merino spun up together for a top-down sweater.

The only sweater I've done so far is a Beanie-baby-sized one, so I may have my hands full. The yarn might be a little too soft to be very durable, but if I'm going to wear a sweater, I'd rather it was really soft next to my skin. I have over 200 yards spun so far...leaving only about a thousand to go! It's kind of a chunky singles, though, so it doesn't takes nearly as long as a two-ply. I haven't started on the sweater yet, though, as I'm still waiting for the needles I ordered. They are some of the Harmony circulars from Knit Picks. They should be coming any day now. So if you have any advice about top-down sweaters, I'd appreciate hearing it!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails