Monday, March 17, 2008

Dyepot Experiments

In my previous post I talked about a couple of new sock yarns I was working on. The first is the one that I went back and overdyed. It's called "Iris Patch." It had some small spots that were still white, so I just overdyed the whole thing with a light yellow. It seemed to fill in the spots and didn't really change the other colors much. The yellow also gave it a little extra zing.

The next one is the skein I dyed a medium pink all over first, then later added some other colors. I think it came out pretty well. The first picture is how it looked before reskeining, and the second is after.


I have another skein in the dyepot now. I've been studying my "Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook." It has lots of information about socks, of course, but also quite a bit about different dye methods and technical stuff about pH and temperatures. I'm working on getting more even color in my yarns. From what I read, I think maybe I'm using a little too much vinegar. It said to use only 2 teaspoons of vinegar per gallon to put in the dyepot. So that's what I tried today. Here's what it looks like so far (it looks like the colors are pretty even):

I'll have to try to post a picture of the finished yarn. Better get off and go check on it again.

1 comment:

Bonny said...

I wouldn't even know how to begin dying (wouldn't even dare a t-shirt!) - looks lovely though.

By the way, hate to do it to you but ... you've been tagged!

Here are the rules:
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails