Thursday, December 6, 2007

Patchwork Quilt Yarns

I think I've talked about my "Patchwork Quilt" yarns here before...I have a new one in the shop. Here's a picture:

I read that there are actually about 4,000 different names of traditional quilt block patterns. Lots of them are really interesting, so I decided to do sort of a series of my "Patchwork Quilt" yarns and name them after the quilt patterns. That gives me lots of ideas for names. Sometimes I have a hard time coming up with names for my yarns, especially when they have several different colors and don't remind me of anything in particular. This newest one is called "Broken Sugar Bowl." It has lots of little bitty patches of color on a white background, so I thought the name fit.

You might remember that one of my small wooden needles broke on the Jaywalker socks. I ordered a set of metal ones so I could finish them, and they came yesterday. So I transferred what I had done so far over to the metal needles last night and started where I left off. I don't think I like the feel of the metal needles, but at least I don't have to worry about them breaking when I do the double decreases. I think I'll probably stick with the wooden ones for regular ribbing and stockinette socks, though.

I've been doing so much yarn painting (using the mill spun yarn) that I haven't done much spinning for awhile. I hadn't ordered any roving for awhile since I was planning to use the wool from our Rambouillets. After that didn't work out so well (though it does work well for needle felting), I ordered a pound of Merino the other day, so maybe I can get some more handspun in the shop before long.

I'd better get busy...there's a new sock yarn waiting to be rinsed. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails