Monday, December 17, 2007

A Mixed Bag

Just kind of a jumble of things to talk about today. It's been awhile since I posted...things have been busy around here. A little over a week ago we had an ice storm. There were several limbs down, but the power didn't go off. I didn't take many pictures, but I did poke my head out the front door and got a picture of a spirea bush in front of the house that had quite a bit of ice on it (some of it was run-off from the roof).

I'm making a little progress on the Jaywalker socks, but it's really slow. Like I said, the metal needles seem really uncomfortable in my hands, so I do a few rows and quit. It may be summer again before they're done at this rate!

I dyed up a batch of roving over the weekend. I may try to start spinning on it this evening or tomorrow. It's another bright one:

You know how sometimes you start to do some little job to organize something and then while you're doing it you find something else that needs doing and then that causes something else to need doing and your ten-minute job turns into an hour or two or more? Well, it wasn't quite that bad, but the other day I decided I would clear a space on the wire rack above the dryer to make a place to package my orders for mailing. Usually I'm scrounging around, looking for the tape and scissors, etc., etc. I thought if I put all that stuff in one place, then I could be more efficient and save some time. It always seems to be dusty on top of the dryer (maybe it would help if I dusted more often), so I looked behind it and found that the hose had some partially loose from the back of the dryer. I tried pushing it back on with the yard stick, but that didn't help a bit. So my next idea was to pull it out a little so I could reach back there and push it on. Well then the whole thing came off. From both ends. I guess when we moved into the house, they must have used an old one that wasn't nearly long enough. So now there was a load of wet laundry in the dryer and no hose connected. I also discovered there was a huge amount of lint behind the dryer. (Notice there are no pictures of that embarrassing scene.) That required lots of vacuuming of the floor, the wall, and the back of the dryer. Then I ran to the store, bought a new hose and a set of clamps, moved the dryer out some more, and put on the new hose...with clamps on BOTH ends. TIGHT clamps. Anyway, I got the dryer going and put the shipping supplies all in one spot. My ten-minute job took about an hour and a half, but maybe now I can be a more efficient packager. And maybe it won't be so dusty around the dryer...

4 comments:

Knitted Gems said...

Ooh, I love the colors in your new roving. Very pretty!

I too had to clean recently around my dryer and washer. The spiders were starting to take the area over. I failed to take pictures too.

Prairie Daisy Handspun said...

Glad you like the roving. There should be a pretty good amount of yardage...there's a little over 5 ounces in this batch.

Bonny said...

It seems like most of my jobs are like that these days - almost scared to open up my closets LOL!! And I have heard it mentioned that dust is a form of interior decorating. Not sure if it's true but ... sometimes it just works for me!

Best wishes for the upcoming New Year to you and your family!

Prairie Daisy Handspun said...

I'm glad my closets aren't the only ones like that! :) Thank you for the good wishes, and Happy New Year to you and your family also! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails