Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A New Venture

I'm getting ready to try something new (for me) in spinning: bamboo yarn. I've seen some pictures on Etsy of some bamboo yarn and thought it was SO pretty. I ordered two 4-ounce packages of top the other day and finally got it dyed yesterday. Here it is in my "dye studio." (In other words, a corner of the basement.)

Then here it is after rinsing, hanging up to dry. I thought it might dry quicker than wool, but it hasn't seemed to so far. I rinsed it out yesterday afternoon, and it was still damp this morning.

I really like the way bamboo shines. You can't really tell from the picture how much shine there is, but I think it really looks cool.

This one has shades of lavender to almost pink, with some white. I'm anxious to get started spinning. I keep fluffing it (it was really scrunched up after I squeezed the water out) to help it dry faster, and also because it's fun. :)

3 comments:

Bonny (Bonny Jewelry) said...

Interesting process - I never realized how much work goes into quality yarn!

Knitted Gems said...

I'm always surprised how much lighter the color is once it's rinsed out. So, I must admit, I haven't worked with bamboo yarn yet. What is it like? And for the ignorant among us, what is it made from? One might think bamboo, but I know bamboo to be a fast-growing wood that makes my knitting needles. How can it be made into a fiber? Can't wait to see how it spins up. I'll check back with you.

Brenda said...

I haven't worked with bamboo yarn yet either...except for what I started spinning this afternoon. From what I can tell so far, it's going to be soft, smooth, and shiny. From what I understand, it is made from bamboo, which they somehow turn into a pulp first and then process into fiber in a similar way to how rayon is done. Not that I know how rayon is done, that's just what I read. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails