Thursday, March 8, 2007

Colors!

I'm all excited...I'm planning on sending off an order shortly for a batch of new dyes! I'm somewhat new at hand dyeing, so I'm kind of learning as I go along. I'm still using my starter kit of dyes--it had the three primary colors, plus an extra blue and a jar of black. In theory, a person should be able to mix any color they wanted with those colors, but I thought ordering some pre-mixed would take a little of the guesswork out of it and allow for even more variety. Here are a couple of my color experiments in the yarns offered in my shop: The first one is called "Pansies." I had to do a little overdyeing in a few spots after I grabbed the wrong bottle of dye and poured it on, but it actually came out kind of neat with the different shades of blue and purple. The other one is called "Cotton Candy." The idea was to look like dainty pink roses, but it looked so much like cotton candy when the roving was hanging up to dry, that I changed the name.

Oh well...sometimes what comes out of the dyepot isn't what you had in mind, but with such beautiful colors to work with, it comes out pretty anyway. Better go for now. Thanks for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails