The other day I showed you my first attempt at a lace scarf. I also said that I had cast on a more complicated pattern just for fun. It was another pattern that was on Ravelry, Brooke's Column of Leaves Knitted Scarf.
This was another of my hand dyed yarns (worsted weight). It starts out as a really pale green and gradually gets darker as you go. The pattern really hasn't seemed too difficult. The hardest thing I think for me about lace is keeping track of where I should be (kind of like the Kitchener stitch). So I did another color coded chart to make it easier, especially when I'm knitting while watching TV. The scarf pattern isn't mine, so I won't reprint it here, but I made up a sample chart to show what I've been doing. Remember, this isn't a real pattern...who knows what it would look like if it were actually knitted! It's just an example of how I wrote out the other one.
I wrote out only two rows on each sheet of paper, the right side row at the top of the page, and the wrong side row at the bottom of the page. Then I took a colored marker and put a box around two or three sets of stitches. Then with a different color, another box around the next few sets, etc. It somehow makes it easier for me to keep track of where I am on the pattern.
This lace is turning out to be more fun than I thought. Who knows what I might try next!
P.S. Be sure to check out the Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival at Alpaca Farm Girl!