Monday, August 31, 2009

Two Socks at a Time on...How Many Needles?!


Seven!!? Yes, seven. I'm not a very fast knitter, and by the time I get one sock done, sometimes I have a hard time getting motivated to do the second one. I've seen the directions for two socks at a time on two circular needles, and two socks at a time on one long cable needle, but I'm awfully bad about getting things tangled up, and both of those just seem too complicated for me. I get along pretty well with double-pointed needles and decided to try something different. I ordered two sets of size 3 DPN's. My sock book calls for #3 needles and sport weight yarn, so I thought I'd give it a try. (Less stitches per round, too. I'm kind of a lazy knitter, you see.) Anyway, after winding the yarn into a ball, I cast on one sock pulling the yarn from the center, and the other from the outside of the ball. I thought I'd do maybe five rows on one and then five on the other, and so on. But then I have to keep track of those (see? lazy knitter) and decided to just do a row on one and then switch over and do a row on the other. It goes a little slowly that way, but then both socks will be done at about the same time, and without too much concentrating! I haven't dyed this yarn yet. The pattern called for a 270 yard ball, and the one I'm using has 274 yards. Since this is the first time using this pattern with sport weight and that might be cutting it close, I thought I'd wait and dye the socks after they were finished.

It seems to be working pretty well so far, though it would probably be easier if the yarn was in two separate balls. May have to try that next time!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails