Monday, July 30, 2007

Sock Report

I've been working on the socks I'm knitting with the sock yarn I ordered. I forgot to mention when I posted about dyeing the yarn that I used the solar dyeing method this time. I had tried it before with some roving I think it was, but it wasn't a sunny enough or hot enough day, and there was still a lot of dye left when I rinsed it. This time, though, we'd had some 90 degree sunny days. I put it outside in the late morning and brought it in in the late afternoon. When I rinsed it, the water was practically clear right off the bat. I'm working on the gusset now. Here's a picture:

I'm not by any means a very experienced knitter. I learned to crochet years ago, but didn't really seriously try knitting till the past two or three years. And then I've mostly done small things like caps or mittens. Last year I was in a yarn shop and saw a book about learning to knit socks and thought it looked interesting, so I've done a few pairs and found I really enjoyed it. I've so far just done simple patterns...ribbed cuffs and stockinette foot. I kind of like not having to concentrate too hard or do much counting when I'm sitting there watching TV. Lazy, I guess:) Maybe one of these days, I'll give one of those fancy patterns a whirl. I don't know, though, I kind of like having a really variegated color yarn and just letting the color do the work!

2 comments:

Morrgan said...

Oooh, that's a really pretty yarn and the sock is looking good too. I also like knitting socks. I think I inherited it from my grandma who knitted many many pairs of socks for all her kids, grandkids and great-grandkids every year, though that's quite a few more pairs than I can manage. ;)

Brenda said...

Thanks! Yes, that sounds like that would take some really fast knitting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails